Thursday, September 6, 2012

Cinderella Dress

cindrella dress, circle dress, circle skirt

I have never been more excited about a dress in my life! I made this dress for a friend so I did everything right. You know what I mean? This is terrible, but I am not even close to being a perfectionist, so when I make clothes for myself sometime I cut corners, get lazy with seam finishing and so on. I've been doing a lot less of that and I think that this dress was the catapult to my good behavior, because when it comes to making clothes for other people, I do want it to be perfect.

cindrella dress, circle dress, circle skirt

I drafted the pattern myself using a bodice sloper I created for my friend. I have to tell you, I've never put so much thought into anything I've sewed. I created the princess seams and the sleeves with the gathering detail. When I cut the pattern I measured the seam allowance really really carefully (I never measure anything carefully) and thought about everything twice before I made the first cut. I do realize this is how I should be treating every project and that just winging it just shouldn't cut it for me. But I really am lazy. I'm working on my sewing habits, though and my projects after this dress are so much more proffesional than my pre-dress creations.

cindrella dress, circle dress, circle skirt

The back has a low neckline (which I love) and the skirt is a full circle skirt (which was a nightmare to hem. I let it hang for two days and the skirt hem was so off I couldn't believe it was a circle to begin with)
Even though circle skirt take more time and effort than any A line skirt, I think they're SO beautiful and flattering. I love the way the drape and - for a lack of a better word - flop.

scalloped belt, scalloped hem

I finished the waist tie and hem with little scallops using Gertie's tutorial and I can imagine this was a uch easier way to finish them hem than a narrow hem, even though I did have to sit and cut of the scallops for two hours. I did this while watching The Good Wife so no harm done.
(can you see the belt loops?? how cool are they?? I don't remember where I found the tutorial for this - if anyone recognizes this tecnique let me know! but I just took 6 pieces of thread an sewed a zigzag stitch with my machine over them created a thin braid for the belt loop. cool huh?)

cindrella dress, circle dress, circle skirt

I used a poleyster satin for this. I almost gagged when I bought it (at my friedn's request), I though she'll end up looking like a girl in a beauty pageant. To my surprise - it turned out beautiful! I really feel like a Disney character when I wear it:

cindrella dress, circle dress, circle skirt

Convincing huh??
(after Bambi and I took this picture I started singing and a bird answered me and then two butterflies draped a shawl on my shoulders as it was getting chilly)

cindrella dress, circle dress, circle skirt

 I finished the armholes and neckline with store bought satin bias tape that was EXACTLY the color of the fabric. I couldn't believe my luck!

cindrella dress, circle dress, circle skirt

What do you guys think?
I'd really like to make one for myself, but I have nowhere to wear a satin dress (I go to a pathetic amount of social gathering a year) so maybe I'll make it in a different kind of fabric.
Any suggestions? I'd love your thoughts!

9 comments:

  1. I walk past the entire row of shiny satin in the store without a second thought, but it turned out cute! It would be great to make another in a different fabric. The comment about the birds and butterflies - ha ha ha ha =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! it's not an attractive fabric..
      thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. You are such a nice friend! :-) Dress looks cute, is it for a Halloween costume? Or just in general?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!! um no.. just in general, for dancing maybe! why? is it too much?
      any ideas for other fabrics?

      Delete
  3. Sorry, I only asked because of the Cinderella reference. I thought maybe she was planning on being Cinderella for Halloween or a play or something. I maybe wouldn't wear it grocery shopping, but for dancing it would be great! If you wanted to do a more casual version, I really like silk-cotton blends (which I can rarely afford outside of my dreams, LOL) or just a lightweight cotton (voile or similar) which would make a pretty and "floaty" dress. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She better wear this grocery shopping! Satin is pretty unforgiving of sewing mistakes, so you did a great job with it here. I've tried sewing for other people and it stresses me out (and bores me) to do everything perfectly. I don't even know what perfect sewing is supposed to be. But it's rad that this dress inspired you to improve your techniques.

    It's a cute pattern and shape. Try it in cotton lawn, rayon challis, linen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Andrea!
      It was actually quite pleasant to sew. I find chiffon a lot more difficult, for example.
      I know, sewing for other people IS boring, but it's a good friend and there was something really satisfying about sewing something without cutting corners and so on.
      I will try those fabrics! I'm going fabric shopping tomorrow! wooohoo!

      Delete
  5. That color is so gorgeous! Beautiful work- hemming circle skirts can be a nightmare, but it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...