A little update on my progress on the jacket:
After much thought, I decided to embellish the jacket a bit. As in the inpiration jacket I decided to embellish the godets and collar. Later, I added a few rows of embellishment at the bottom of the sleeves in a whim (which I have yet to photograph).
|The pile of godets (6 to be exact) embellished and stay stitched.|
My biggest issue was lining the jacket, I really didn't know how to line the jacket as I didn't want the godets to be weighed down witha full lining. I did a little bit of research and found Frabjous Couture's detailed post about her burdatyle godet skirt. To be honest, it wasn't detailed enough as all I came away with from the post was that she lined the godet seperates. As to how she lined the rest of the skirt and attached it to the godet lining I can't say, I'll be making my own way when I reach that point.
|Other side of lined godet.|
Anyway, I embellished the godets with 6 rows of machined stitches and the collar with three rows. I have to admit that I love the look!
I tested out interfacing before I used it (I told you I was doing this right!):
It has a weird weave to it, but I kind of like it!
|That is a nice roll!|
This is one of the pattern pieces underlined. I cut the cotton muslin from the same pattern pieces and basted them together at a 1/4 inch seam allowance (my real seam allowance is 1/2 inch). Apparently you're not supposed to pivot at the points of the pattern but sew right off them because pivoting shifts the fabrics. (I have Tasia from Sewaholic to thank for this gem!):
Let me know if you have any question about the construction - it's kind of difficult to show all the little details in pictures.
I'm really excited about this jacket and since I decided to take this whole tailoring very seriously I even decided to add bond buttonholes. More to come on the jacket! (I hope you're not tired of these detailed posts, let me know if you think they're lacking in any detail or if you don't want to hear about this at all.