Saturday, June 8, 2013

Tiny Thing

A friend of mine from work had a baby recently (a week ago!) and I got the sudden urge to make the little baby girl something. It seemed a little silly at first, but let me tell you, once you start, it's so addicting! All the pattern pieces are so tiny and cute and the end result was too adorable for words!

Baby Dress Sewn

I literally used fabric scraps to make this. I had between half a yard and quarter yard left over from my double collar blouse. The pattern pieces were so small I managed to make a diaper cover to go with the dress.
I used Sew Jereli's free baby dress sewing pattern, it was really easy to make, the instructions were clear and easy to follow, I definitely recommend this as an easy baby shower gift. I know it's much too large for newborn but I figured that it's best to make something she can grow into.. right?
Of course I added red bow to the front, I thought it needed a pop of color! 

I promise the hem of the skirt isn't lopsided!

The top part of the bodice is lined with a piece of white cotton I found in my stash. I like the fact that it's lined, it's much sturdier this way and looks more professional (since this is a gift I don't want it to look flimsy!).



There is a button placket in the back. It's supposed to go down past the waist but I decided to cut the back skirt as one piece and close the placket at the waist. I wanted to use bright red buttons to match the bow in the front but they had a shank and I thought it would bother the baby's back. I resorted to using these mellow flat red buttons, oh well!


I made the diaper cover using Made's Perfect Diaper Cover pattern. These pattern pieces are miniscule as well. I just cannot get over how tiny babies are. It took me like half an hour to make the cover and by the time I was done I wanted to make ten more.

Anyway, now I'm kind of hoping other people will get pregnant around me so I can make more baby clothes. They are so ADORABLE!




Ok, everybody get your sad faces on because it's Confession Time:

1) Lack of blogging - I haven't been blogging as much lately. I've reached somewhat of a sewing block, which I have yet to overcome. At first I didn't even want to admit it to myself, not to mention you guys, but I just can't hold it in anymore. I SPENT A WHOLE WEEKEND AT HOME WITHOUT SEWING A SINGLE STITCH. I felt terribly guilty for it but I then realized that we're all allowed a break from time to time, right? This feels like the first step to recovery, hopefully I'll be up and running by next weekend!

2) MeMadeMay - I HATED THE LAST TWO WEEKS OF IT. I had trouble with my camera and then with my laptop and everything seemed to be going wrong. I have a few more pictures to show you but I'm not even sure I'm going to upload them. What do you think?
Trust me though, I held up my end of the bargain of wearing me made items I was just terrible at photographing them.


Have you ever made baby clothes?
what did you think of MeMadeMay?
Have you ever gone into a sewing desert and had trouble finding your way out of it?

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...